The completion time from 15 to 45 minutes.
The result is a definition:
- Size-weight indices of the insert
(for inserts without a mount)
- Insert material
(including mineral species or its varieties)
- The nature of the origin of the insert
(natural, synthetic, artificial)
- The presence of treatment.
EQUIPMENT AND METHODS
- Loupe, Gemological lamp – visual inspection, prior sensory information about implementation.
- Analytical laboratory scales – weighing expertise with an accuracy to hundredths of a gram/carat;
- Micromemo device – determination of linear dimensions of the object of examination with an accuracy of hundredths of a millimeter (for loose inserts), or to a tenth of a millimeter (for fixed inserts);
- The polariscope – definition optical nature of the material of the insert;
- Refractometer – determination of refractive index of the material of the insert;
- Time domain reflectometer – definition of the average value of the refractive index of the material of the insert (if necessary);
- Microskop – determination of the nature of polychroism material inserts;
- Thermomaster – defining the relative rate of thermal conductivity of the material of the insert;
- Gemological UV lamp – defining parameters of a luminescence of the material inserts in ultraviolet rays;
- Specialized testers luminescent properties – define additional parameters on the luminescence properties of the material of the insert;
- Microscope – study of internal inclusions and inhomogeneities in the material of the insert (including polarized light and immersion in liquids);
- Instructional and methodological documentation – a set of manuals, guidelines and guidance documents.